Sunday 3 August 2008

Z does not weigh herself and does not care

i've been rather overindulging in the last week. No need, I think, to itemise all the naughtiness, though it did involve cheesecake and chocolate cake, as well as several marshmallows and just general overeating. It will not get better in the next day or two, as I'm visiting London and intend to go to a nice restaurant and not count the cash or the calories.

There is a simple remedy. I won't weigh myself until I'm back on track.

I realise that this is my cop-out. I only weigh myself when there's a reasonable chance that I've lost weight. So if I've had a virtuous couple of weeks, I check my weight and wouldn't dream of looking for fluctuations until I've been good again. This might be a fortnight later or not for six weeks or more. This positive frame of mind works for me as I don't want to hear bad news. I know when I've eaten unwisely (this is marginal, honestly, I never pig out) so I make up for it.

Having said that, the more one eats, the more one wants to eat. You can get away with a biscuit or a chocolate or some cheese once, but if you have it for more than two days you crave it hopelessly. I see why celebs who diet get carried away to the point of skeletal - it's easier to deny indulgences entirely than to have just a little once a week. And when you receive praise for losing weight, you want to lose more. It was only at the last time I weighed myself that I thought I was half-way there; until then, I kept moving the goal post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm cake!!!!

I'm blessed with not craving if i have something for more than a couple of days...apart from cake which i always want, all the time

Z said...

It's not that I particularly want more of what I've been eating, but that I am more inclined to eat something with fat and/or sugar in, which normally I've pretty well trained myself out of.

Tomorrow night, caution will be left completely behind. I'm going to an extremely nice restaurant and I will choose just what I fancy, never mind the calories.

Expect pathetic whining for the next fortnight.

badgerdaddy said...

Mmmmmm, fat and/or sugar.

Z said...

Back of the class, and take your cake with you.