Tuesday 13 May 2008

Z contorts

I don't know whether it's a result of the weight loss, the exercise or simply that the weather is warmer, but I've been much more flexible recently. As I sat on the floor this morning making my feet soft and beautiful I mused that sometimes in the last few years I've hardly been able to reach to cut my own toenails. I can wear 3-inch heels again (wedges or fairly solid, haven't tried stilettos yet) and although I still am asked frequently if I've hurt my leg, I'm often not aware that I'm limping.

Can't run of course or even hurry, although I always walk briskly, and I try to remember, when going up or down stairs, to lead with my good leg. But there are things I can do that I couldn't do a few weeks ago although, since anyone whom I know reads this is young enough to be my child, I won't embarrass us all by mentioning them; nevertheless, the Sage was impressed.

I don't think I'll have lost weight this month. I may be wrong, but I've sneaked a little more fat - olive oil, butter or crème frâiche - into my cooking. I haven't eaten anything bad otherwise, but I've a very efficient metabolism and can't get away with anything much. Also, we're coming into the soft fruit season. I don't eat anything with the fruit - not cream or whatever, but I demolished most of a bowl of cherries the other night. Fruit sounds all right, but it's all more food and it's sweet too.

I'd hoped, after 7 months, to have lost a stone, but I'm trying not to be discouraged if I haven't dipped to 9 stone something. Time or weight goals aren't a good idea, because how do you build yourself up to carry on if you miss a target?

Anyway, so I'm focusing on the positive aspects - less aching and more movement, and also fewer bulges. I said, the other day, that I don't look thinner to myself, but although I don't have a flat stomach (frankly, I doubt that's going to happen, ever), I am smoother and sleeker at the sides. My waist doesn't have that little roll each side any more. And I can at least feel my ribs, even if it's only, I daresay, because I know they're there. Can't play a tune yet, though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not having a timescale but having a goal sounds like a good way to go to me.

I wish i was motivated that way

Z said...

The most discouraging thing to me is reading people who say they've lost a stone in a month or so. How on earth does anyone do that?

badgerdaddy said...

By starving oneself... You rarely read their posts when they say 'Put a stone and a half back on in three weeks' though, do you?

You know you're doing this the exact right way - lifestyle changes, and tweaking things here and there, and being happy with gradual loss.

Losing a lot of weight in a hurry sucks, anyway. No clothes fit at all. When I did it, even my undercrackers looked ridiculous.

Z said...

Yes, I know I'm doing it right, but it is so damn slow. Easy to let a few extras slip in and stay there.