Wednesday 14 May 2008

Life is but a dream

I've just been talking to a friend on the phone and I asked how her arm is now - she broke it, back in the winter. She said it's much better, but now she's recovering from an attack of shingles.

Now, that's another consideration when an old dear like me loses weight. It's really vital to stay healthy and eat enough to be well nourished. I'm scarfing back yoghurt for the calcium, now that little butter and cheese is ingested and eating a lot more protein than the last time I dieted 20 years ago (only 12 lbs to lose then, which went in a mere 3 months, and stayed off for 5 years, ho hum). I'm concerned about osteoporosis, but also about a healthy immune system. Shingles is one of the things we middle-aged and upwards dread, and you are inclined to get it when you're run down.

I've been pondering the thought of more exercise. I'd quite like it, which is something I never thought I'd say, but the tennis I used to play is out for me now - well, I haven't tried, but I can't run and I'm not sure about the sudden darting about needed. Maybe doubles with an agile partner?

Anyway, the other thing I like is rowing. We used to have a little dinghy on the river bank - it's a little branch of the Waveney near us - until it was stolen, and we often used to go out in it. However, the water level drops dramatically in the summer and silt builds up, so parts of the river aren't really passable, even in a small boat. So I wondered about a rowing machine at the local gym. But the thought bores me so. It's different, out on the river, quietly rowing along, watching the wildlife, the water so clear that you can see fish and water weeds on the river bottom. And, even if it's just a nice tree to moor by while you eat a picnic, you have a goal and a sense of achievement at the end. It's the reason I chose cycling; because I go somewhere. I don't think I'd have any motivation to keep up exercise purely for its own sake.

I could buy a machine, I suppose. If I threw enough money at it, I'd have to use it to justify the expense. After all, if I can part with £800 on a new Mac and £1000 on the car in one week, there's no reason that I can't go daft on another piece of machinery, is there?

No, you're right. A new boat would make more sense. And lifejackets - I could take the children for outings on the river.

1 comment:

badgerdaddy said...

A new boat indeed! Huzzah!

Rowing machines are soul-destroying. I get bored after 750 metres, or 3:20. About the length of the average 1980s pop song.

Coincidence? You decide.

Much better to do something that goes somewhere.