Tuesday 27 May 2008

Feeling groovy.

Yes, I am.

The last few weeks have seen me in the gym 3-4 times a week, with other exercise on top. In those sessions, I generally have one where I do more weights and a little bit of cardio, then the others I focus on cardiovascular exercise. I'm only in the gym for about an hour and a half, so it's long enough to be enjoyable and short enough to leave me wanting more.

My legs feel great, and the muscles are really responding to everything I'm asking of them. My chest and shoulders are also doing well… In fact, it's all working brilliantly so far – except predictably, I have added a kilo in weight to bring me up to 105. That's pretty heavy… But I feel fantastic, and my diet is pretty good, I'm drinking far less… It's all good, dawg.

One day last week, I went to the gym in the morning, then played two hours of tennis in the afternoon; there was no stiffness anywhere on me, even my groin (a common area of complaint after playing tennis because of the sudden lateral movements) was fine. That weekend, while resting from work and exercise, we went for a walk on the Horseshoe Pass for three hours up some seriously steep hills.

I'm happier, enjoying life a lot more, it's all good. I'm drinking less wine and more beer, so not getting drunk (when I switch from wine to beer, I tend to simply switch volume without allowing for a difference in alcohol… Yes, I know. Mental), and I should be well prepared when travel time comes around next month, with lots of sitting around in airports and hotels, and therefore beer drinking.

Really, I feel great, and it's a consistent great. And rather than going once and coming on and saying I fell great, isn't exercise brilliant, it's been three weeks of it, and I want to do more and more. I think the balance is just about right... My only complaint is that as I've been doing some dips in the gym (where you raise and lower your body using just your arms – like a reverse pull-up, I suppose. Or would that be a push-down?), it's re-built my arms and chest quite quickly, which has affected my golf swing… and as I've only just started playing golf, it's annoying that what I had worked out no longer works. Grrrr.

I'm burbling. And I'm off to the gym again in the morning. Oh, did I mention that I go with a friend now? The motivation is just to be up and ready for when he comes round, which I didn't have before; I would roll out of bed, eat breakfast, then start work. This way I get up around 6:40, ablute, potter, get picked up around 7:15, gym, then a nice walk home of about 20 minutes, then a bath, and start work around 9:30 - 10am. I get a shitload more done even though I start later and finish earlier than I used to.

I believe what I am in is a win-win situation. Right, that's quite enough of my burble. Now to just wait for that lard to start sliding off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing blummin well! Go You

Z said...

Well done!

badgerdaddy said...

Huzzah!