Thursday 6 March 2008

Dumpy, pale and drearily virtuous - ooh, yum

I'm getting worried at what is happening to me. Last week, the wholefood shop was out of plain yoghurt, except the soya stuff that even the vegan, sugar-avoiding assistant can't take. I found myself, as I'd nothing but salad for lunch, buying some cottage cheese.

Now, as we all know, cottage cheese is unspeakably dull. It's not even interesting enough to disgust or revolt, but just sits there dumpily and pale, like the fat white woman in gloves in the poem (for whom I've rather a soft spot, as I think the poet - is it Frances Cornford? - was quite unnecessarily mean about her) ... anyway, I had half an avocado, two sticks of celery and other salady things, a couple of olives and several yummy rice cakes. It was virtue personified, but boring as.

Today, I found myself buying another pot of cottage cheese, without even the excuse of a lack of yoghurt. It seems that I quite enjoyed it. I am shocked and appalled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cottage cheese is good when a) it has stuff in it (like pineapple) and b) you don't leave it in the fridge for a day so it goes all watery and wrong looking

the best thing about it though is that you feel soooooooooooo good for eating it!

Z said...

Yes, and an extra spoonful is fine, unlike proper cheese, where you have to ration yourself.