Monday 15 June 2009

Z gets back on the scales

...and is pleasantly surprised. I haven't weighed myself for ages because it hasn't been convenient - with my Victorian scales in the porch, one can't do the early morning weigh-in in the nuddy which, let's face it, is the only one that counts. And, as either I'm going to spend the morning wall-building or I'm in a hurry, I either wear jeans (heavy) or don't have time. Anyway, today I did, so I put on a summer skirt and a teeshirt and came down to weigh myself before going to wash my hair and dress in wall-building clothes.

9 stone and just under half a pound. Yes, I'm surprised too. That's 27 pounds I've lost since the start of this. You might think, and you'd not be wrong, that this is not a vast weight loss in 19 1/2 months, but as I've said before, it's not the speed of the loss that matters to me so much as its continuation and its permanence. The really good thing is that I've not been really dieting, just eating carefully, and in a way I really can sustain, and yet I must have been losing about a pound a month, which is absolutely fine. I've been feeling that I'm a pretty normal weight ever since I got to 9 1/2 stone, which is why I've been fairly relaxed - it's been frustrating that I'm so relaxed but, and I think this is the reason so many diets fail, you can't pretend about it. If someone says "I really should lose weight" then they aren't going to, however porky they are.

I've been too busy to get on the bike as often as I'd like - if I've got only 20 minutes to do the shopping there's no point in spending 15 of them cycling, but I have been very active, mostly in the garden. I'm sure it's the activity that's tipped the balance.

Now I've lost weight, I've got really flabby thighs. Hm.

2 comments:

badgerdaddy said...

Swim!

I have a radical plan - for lifestyle change, that is, not some crazy diet thing - which I will be unveiling just as soon as I know all of it, probably tomorrow...

Oh, and congratulations - that really is excellent work. I'm the same weight as when we started this, but I can run six miles now and have some extra muscles!

Z said...

I went to one aquacise class and I haven't had a free Tuesday morning since, in months. I really do hate swimming pools and that seemed to be the only way to force myself to go, by joining a class. But I'm doubting my willpower.