Tuesday 11 March 2008

Draining

Another friend asked if I'd lost weight and I explained about my diet - she said that I'm noticeably thinner. It seems to have suddenly got visible that I'm thinner and I rather want to weigh and measure myself to check, but I won't. I'm trying not to get competitive with myself about this, to take the view that what I weigh and how quickly the weight comes off isn't the point; because then I'll get discouraged when I stick, as I surely will at some point.

When I used yoghurt that I'd drained surplus whey from the other night in a sauce, no one noticed, although usually I'd have used crème frâice. I'm experimenting with fat-free yoghurt - that is, I've lined a sieve with two layers of kitchen paper and have dumped the yoghurt in it. I wonder if we'll be able to tell the difference between that and regular Greek yoghurt - or rather, that the difference will actually matter.

Not that I'm big on reduced-fat versions of things. I mistrust them. Often, the calorie difference is pretty negligible and I suspect that they reassure me into thinking I needn't watch how much I eat of them. I'd rather eat less of the proper thing, which isn't processed with the addition of emulsifiers and suchlike (this particular yoghurt just has organically-produced milk as its only ingredient). I never buy reduced sugar things either, unless it means it's simply less sweet; but it never is. It's just had artificial sweeteners added, which I think are bad in themselves, especially for children.

No comments: